What we do
At Shepper, we take care of things for businesses. In both senses. We mobilise our human-powered, tech-enabled network to check and collect data on thousands of assets quickly all over the UK.
Since launching in 2016 we have been part of the prestigious Founders Factory accelerator programme, been named a top 100 UK start-up twice, were a finalist at the Great British Entrepreneurs Awards in 2019, and are backed by Aviva. We were founded back in 2016 by serial entrepreneurs Carl August Ameln, Ben Prouty and Jan Vanhoutte, with the team growing to almost 30 in 3.5 years. Now we look to the future of Shepper, with exciting plans in order to support our ambitious growth and international expansion targets.
We are looking for a Senior Back-End Developer that wants to join a fast-moving scale up in a very unique space. Your role will be to work closely with the Chief Product Officer and Lead Platform Developer and our growing development team to continue to evolve our products.You will be highly motivated, a brilliant engineer, able to speak your mind, and be passionate and proud of the work you produce. Your time will be spent between evolving the internal and customer facing web apps of our platform as well as participating in the development of our mobile app.
- Extensive experience building complex Laravel 5+ applications from the ground up with a strong focus on good architecture, OOP principles and testing.
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases (we use MySQL and Redis), plus an understanding of good database design principles.
- Experience building scalable distributed platforms, with practical experience implementing caching and message queues (Memcached/Redis and SQS).
- Experience designing infrastructure and deploying applications with AWS (we primarily use Elastic Beanstalk).
- Experience developing and maintaining internal or public-facing APIs -knowledge of current relevant API specifications and approaches (e.g. JSON API, GraphQL etc.) a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Nice To Haves
- Previous experience working with fully or partially remote teams.
- Experience developing APIs specifically for mobile app consumption.
- Experience with Atlassian products like JIRA and Confluence.
- Knowledge of front end frameworks like React.js or Vue.
- Knowledge of CI tools like CircleCI.
Shepper is a challenging, supportive and fun place to work, and are looking for amazing and passionate people to join us at this relatively early stage and become instrumental in growing Shepper across the globe!At Shepper, we don’t just take care of things for our customers, we take care of each other and our Shepherds. We’re kind and considerate. We know people have lots going on –at their desks and in their lives –so we respect each other, support each other, and put people first, always.
- Health and wellbeing budget
- 2 days per year to use for something you care about
- Training and development budget
- Flexible working –we won’t dictate your hours or micro-manage you
- Casual dress code
- Summer and Christmas socials
- The chance to be a part of a growing start-up and the next success story
- Team building, Friday drinks, and a very social team
Remember, it’s not just about our live vacancies, if you don’t see anything that matches your skill set, feel free to send your CV and a note to email@example.com and we’ll be in touch if something suitable pops up!