What we do
At Shepper, we take care of things for businesses. In both senses. We mobilise our human-powered, tech-enabled network to check their assets quickly, without any fuss or faff. And we take care doing it. It doesn’t matter how small the job is, we make sure it’s done perfectly – every time.
Since launching in 2016 we have already been named a top 100 UK start-up twice, and launched operations in over 20 countries across the globe!
Founded in 2016 by serial entrepreneurs Carl August Ameln, Ben Prouty and Jan Vanhoutte, the team have grown to almost 30 in 3 years. Now we look to the future of Shepper, with exciting plans in order to support our ambitious growth and international expansion targets.
We see Shepper as a challenging, supportive and fun place to work, and are looking for amazing and passionate people to join us at this relatively early stage and become instrumental in growing Shepper across the globe!
To lead the development of Shepper’s people strategy, determining the employer brand and proposition, ensuring that the business attracts top talent, whilst differentiating ourselves on how we enable people to develop and grow in and beyond their roles.
To create, implement and embed a target operating model for the business, underpinned by the right balance of structure, process and governance, working closely with the exec team to determine how we transfer the Shepper blueprint into our chosen non-UK markets and develop a single company culture.
More broadly, to play a significant role in defining the strategic direction of the business and translating strategic priorities into a clear go-to-market plan for the business that galvanises our people and critically, our network of Shepherds, leading the development and execution of our people communications strategy.
Accountabilities to include:
People & Culture:
- Member of the Shepper SLT (Senior Leadership Team), who are accountable for the development and execution of the business strategy, client, shepherd and financial plan
- Work closely with Shepper SLT members to maximise group wide opportunities and initiatives and play a key leadership role in the evolution of the Shepper culture and embodiment of our values
- To represent Shepper at key opinion forming events and cross-industry forums, proactively building relationships with industry influencers
- To shape the company wide Target Operating Model to ensure that the organisation has the structure, capabilities, processes and governance to deliver the 5 year business plan
- Take a hands-on leadership approach to inspire and motivate the workforce, and foster collaboration across teams; hire and further develop the HR team as the company scales.
- To actively support the CEO to build a high performing leadership team and environment to maximise individual and collective success
- To provide support to SLT (Senior Leadership Team) members to ensure recruitment, succession and retention plans are in place within and across all functions to underpin the in-year and future year plans
- Explicitly, to work with the SLT to identify and organise recruitment requirements, ensuring strategies are in place to maximise quality and minimise costs
- Take executive responsibility for all people related topics, creating an effective employee brand and people strategy that translates business objectives into tangible actions fully grounded in analytics and operational KPIs.
- To work with the SLT members to ensure functional people strategies are developed and executed, and are congruent with the People strategy and outcomes
- To define and implement the appropriate people function, strategies, systems and working practices suitable to a high-growth international business.
- To develop a framework and set of tools to govern key people processes (recruitment, induction, engagement, cultural embedding, goal setting, performance management, learning & development, inclusion & diversity, talent management and exit); ensuring that we constantly re-evaluate core capabilities, working practices, emerging technologies and partnerships that underline our target culture
- To create an internal communications vision and strategy to ensure that our people understand and emotionally connect with the business strategy, our clients and critically, understand their role in shaping and executing the strategy and in-year plan
- To work with the Propositions Director (PD) to create a brand and investor relations strategy to govern the 5 year plan period; explicitly a CSR facet which stretches across client and shepherd propositions
- To own and proactively manage the people orientated risks, maintaining a register and active mitigation plans, escalating all risks of a significant nature
- To develop and oversee the annual budget for company wide FTE and associated costs, ensuring our people investment is optimal and KPI’s met.
Data & Insight:
- To bring in learning and stimulus from other start up’s, scale up’s and industry influencer’s to continually explore new ways improving employee engagement, individual and team performance and company wide productivity
- Lead the development of our employee engagement programme and measurement framework, ensuring quarterly insights informs our annual people plan
- Develop a company wide framework for setting, delivering and measuring personal and functional goals; working with the Head of Performance & Finance (HoF Performance & Finance ) to ensure that company wide KPI’s are understood, measured and clearly communicated as part of the internal communications plan
- Ensure that the functions have processes in place to ensure broader resourcing (partners, suppliers and network) align and positively contribute to the employer brand and target culture
Delivery & Execution:
- To deliver the people managers framework to govern all key people lifecycle processes
- Explicitly, execute strategic initiatives to attract and engage talent and build growth; ensuring role dimensions and lines of demarcation are clear and spans and layers optimum
- To ensure all employee have clearly defined goals and measures and processes and controls are in place to optimise the performance and potential ratio
- To implement the employee proposition, ensuring employee benefits align or exceed the agreed benchmarked group of businesses; develop compensation and benefits systems that attract and retain world-class talent
- To execute the recruitment strategy, ensuring that SLT members have a clear framework and supporting tools to support the hiring and immersion of new colleagues joining the Group, taking a hands on approach with senior hires
- To develop further actions to build a truly global, diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace
- To support the SLT in resolving all people-led issues, ensuring that systems and processes are in place to enable SLT members to self-serve people-led administration demands
- To execute the employee engagement survey, ensuring that we have mechanics in place to empower employee to fix problems and enhance employee satisfaction
- Support the PD and CRO (Chief Revenue Officer) to develop international expansion strategies, ensuring that the target operating model is clearly and consistently executed
- Lead the development and execution of all SLT and all-employee communications and events as part of a rolling 12 month marketing calendar
- Develop and execute external content to communicate the employer brand, ensuring all key platforms positively promote Shepper as an employer
- Support the OD (Operations Director) and Head of Network (HoN) to ensure employee and shepherd proposition alignment to the TOM and organisational culture, ensuring consistency of implementation and outcomes across the broader workforce; explicitly, develop visibility of downstream gig economy-led employee legislation and regulation
Metrics on which the role holder will be evaluated:
- FTE # & cost vs. plan (primary)
- Employee performance, capability & talent index vs. plan (primary)
- Employee engagement vs. target (primary)
- Number of of inspections vs. target (primary)
- Average cost of recruitment vs. plan (primary)
- Workforce diversity vs. Plan (supporting)
- % Regretted losses or short tenure hires (supporting)
- Client revenue / shape of revenue vs. plan; team and individual (supporting)
- Clarity and follower-ship of business / client strategy (supporting)
- Average margin by sector vs. plan (supporting)
- Client satisfaction vs. target (supporting)
- Internal capability index vs. agreed plan (supporting)
- Client-centric, data driven approach; action-biased, energetic and results-focused
Outstanding strategic thinking and planning:
- Strong intellect and strategic systems thinker as evidenced by business achievement
- Ability to author people strategies with ability to translate company needs into People/HR approaches
Creativity and an entrepreneurial approach:
- A problem-solving self-starter with a creative mindset and naturally entrepreneurial approach
Strong commercial focus:
- Proven track record of building winning teams to underpin exponential commercial growth internationally and long term value-creation
- Basic knowledge of key HR process and legislation
Exceptional people leadership & coaching:
- Developing but an authentic leader, with a clear point of view on modern day HR and approaches to structure organisations and motivate people
- Inspirational, empathetic leader who will have a significant role to play in coaching, mentoring and developing others
- Humble and ambitious individual that thrives in an environment of transparency and
Ability to build enduring relationships (internally & externally):
- Proven ability to consult, influence and engage stakeholders at all levels of the organisation and play a significant role to influence in-direct teams; extensive cross-functional collaboration
- Experience in hiring and on-boarding senior leaders, bringing a leadership team together, fostering healthy debate and decision making
- Track record across some or all aspects of the People function, including talent acquisition, leadership development and learning and development
- Relentless work ethic, hands-on orientation, tireless enthusiasm for the mission,
collaborative style and eternally positive outlook
At Shepper, we don’t just take care of things for our customers, we take care of each other and our Shepherds. We’re kind and considerate. We know people have lots going on – at their desks and in their lives – so we respect each other, support each other, and put people first, always.
- 20 days holiday + bank holidays
- Health and wellbeing budget
- 2 days per year to use for something you care about
- Training and development budget
- Flexible working – we won’t dictate your hours or micro-manage you
- Casual dress code
- Summer and Christmas socials
- The chance to be a part of a growing startup and the next success story
- Team building, Friday drinks, and a very social team
Remember, it’s not just about our live vacancies, if you don’t see anything that matches your skill set, feel free to send your CV and a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be in touch if something suitable pops up!